Prof. Dr. Iftekhar Md Munir, is an energetic & enthusiastic Glaucoma Specialist & Phaco surgeon of Bangladesh Eye Hospital, Shantinagar branch. He is now working as professor and Head, Dept. of glaucoma at National Institute of Ophthalmology (NIO) which is a 250 bed eye subspecialty based apex hospital in public sector, at Dhaka, Bangladesh. Dr Munir has a separate Glaucoma unit at NIO. He utilizes the latest techniques and equipment to ensure that he brings the highest standards of care. He is one of the leading cataract and glaucoma surgeon of Bangladesh. Doing phacoemulsification from 2000 in the country and has performed high volume Phaco Surgeries with excellent results. He is the pioneer of glaucoma surgery -Trabeculectomy with MMC and Ologen, Ahmed Glaucoma Valve and other GDD implants in Bangladesh. He also perform laser glaucoma surgery-LPI, SLT.
Prof. Dr. Iftekhar Md Munir is also active in research & published more than 30 papers in local & foreign journals. He regularly attends/presents at various eye conferences at home & abroad.
Prof. Dr. Iftekhar Md Munir received Professor Mubarak Ali Award as a recognition of his works on glaucoma by Ophthalmological Society of Bangladesh (OSB) in 2013.
Prof. Saidur Rahman Award by BCOS in 2018
Professional Memberships :
- Secretary General of Bangladesh Glaucoma Society (BGS)
- Executive Member of Ophthalmological Society of Bangladesh (OSB).
- Life Member of Bangladesh Academy of Ophthalmology (BAO).
- Founder Member, Bangladesh Community Ophthalmological Society (BCOS)
- Founder Member, Bangladesh Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeon (BSCRS)
- International Life Member, All India Ophthalmological Society (AIOS), India.